Tuesday, May 26, 2009

In my infinite wisdom....

I sometimes use that phrase far to often, but sometimes i think it sums me up. There is no limit to the level's of ignorance, forgetfulness, self-centered inability to notice things or remember events that i don't pay attention to, such as keeping a good schedual. Basically my mind often enters a woe is me negative tunnel where i don't notice much. Now this can be bad since i do notice much, i am a writer, in hope anyway, but the idea that i shut down thanks to negative thoughts and avoiding things can piss me off sometimes.


A very prime example happened yesterday. I went in hoping to study before an exam. This wasn’t going to well but an hour before the exam i checked some of my notes to see which venue the exam was in. Low and behold, the exam was on Wednesday. Yep i can be that fecking clueless sometimes. It makes me wonder if having more blond hair as a child did something to me. Now that it's a mix between brunette and grease caused by wrong shampoo and recently going from long to short hair, i wonder if i have less of an excuse...


My great computer switch over:


That's right folks i have a new computer. Now it isn't a super massive blow yer mind upgrade, in fact its the same power. It's also still XP like the retro-pc whore that i am, i just can't say goodbye to windows 95/98. Although the style of this xp may look like 98 but it has some of those hot links and memory feature's in the start menu etc that i never utilised before and now i'm wondering why i didn't.

To start off the process i started to clear space on my relatively recently added 35 gb hard drive. Space and noise pollution were the main problems with this computer. It sounded like a jet engine, was the size of a baby's crib and only had about 110 GB of space that i was slowly filling up. Music being the main problem since iTunes duplicate's it all.... Now this process toke al lot of sunday morning. Here's the list of what i had to do, bare with me...:


Transfer:
Downloaded software folder to my D drive( isobuster, winamp, winzip etc)
Downloads folder (some music, some games)
Torrents folder (all my bit torrents in one neat place)
shared music (from my limewire days, mainly mp3's)
Ripped music off of the internet (realplayer and myspace's golden days)
Delete iTunes music library to save space
OpenTTD and all it's installers and zip files (very important, my favourite game ever)
Saved cities from sim city 3000
Saved games from Civili"z"ation 2
Settlers 2 ( a cute game i played endlessly when a kid and only found recently, wont work on new pc though :-( )
GTA Master folder (gta vice city, gta san andreas and gta liberty city and vice city to San andreas mod, which i sub-sequentially lost.)
All Zip file's, iso's and bit torrents of game's i have pirated.
Music videos and Twilight the movie(what it's good!)
My Picture's folder (all 4gb worth of collected images from the web and my amateur photography)

Then it was a matter of slipping the side off my old pc, named Lorraine as far as i can remember, and then take the 35GB hard drive and slip into the new machine. Now i know how to do this in theory but i still got my dad to do it. I wasn't exactly knowledgeable about which cable's and so on, not the same as the good old days when i could pop extra ram in. So new computer, to get it goin i transferred all of the spare hard drive over to new computers main one. While doing this i installed the "essential's"

So basically setting up Google chrome and setting it's bookmarks, very important. Now sure ie is what 90% of the internet, but it crashes so much. And i'm so used to google chrome now that i don't want to use anything else. In college i have to resort to firefox because it's faster but it's tab system, or at least it's older one is very hard to find and just not the same as the + icon and recently used page's of chrome/opera (partially stolen from the latter’s "speed dial" page)

After that OpenTTD. I made a "new" version of it. Just because the old folder was so messy. I have been using it for what 2 years now. There was version installers from the 0.4 build or whatever it's called. To gage how old that is they're on version 7 now! A lot has changed since then. Basically i made the new one because i had been updating on top of many old versions with both official release's and the "nightlies" (compiled update's of bug fixes that are made, you guessed it nightly, they also test new features before adding to official releases). After doing this for 2 years or so and with many old and conflicting "grf's" it was getting hard to beautify my game's when not all the grf's worked together as nicely. That and some of my saved game's were just FAR to old to work with the new versions.

When i open some of those old save's it's like a time capsule. There's no "better" roads for the towns so they are just a mess of cul de sac's and odd construction. There wasn't "path based signaling" so the trains have to stop even more at the old pre-signal system which was just more of a bitch to build. I also ran a lot less grf's which means there isn't all the pretty "stolen tree's", or any good train sets. So a new build for a new computer. I plan to also have and "old" build, older than my current one's just so i can mess around with my old saved games.


I spent a feck load of time setting up iTunes. It had to convert every bloody song on my computer. Not only that but it detected worms 3d. Big mistake. I had to delete several thousand 1 or 2 second sound clips related to the game that should never have been in the libary. That really pissed me off. And since it took about 6 hours to update all my music i got pretty bored with my pc running so bloody slowly:-( Okay so i was trying to surf the web, play a game sporadically and download stuff off of uTorrent but come on, in this day and age i shouldn't get a snail's pace doing all that....




So Monday. Oh Monday. I did my usual routine of study. And i was cramming with an hour to go to my exam. I take out my other notebook, and low and behold i look at the exam list to confirm which venue i'm in. Oh look at that, it says the 27th, my exam wasn't till Wednesday! Feckin wonderful. So i head home, feeling like an idiot. Not only that but irish rail lied to me, their website created a phantom train that wasn't on any real timetable and yet it appeared on their search results? For shame!

DS is home for the summer. Yay more cinema! Unfortunately i'm slightly busy for the next few weeks. End of exams, parents away for a week and then i have to pay back placement. That's not exactly going to be easy. Shucks. We've also been considering our future road trip across the US more. Yeah, okay so originally i would have been when we were 22 or so, so end of next year. But for me i have to set that off by a year if i even get to next year that is. And for DS he is hopefully doing a 1 year masters hopefully in TCD or some other Dublin college. So Boston to LA 2011 baby! 11 because we both would need money. Lots of it. Even to do it on the cheap we're talking a few grand here. And since i already owe my parents 7 grand for this repeat, and probably 3 million or more for rearing me, i need to either work or win the lotto fast!

That last part wasn't a joke. If i ever was to become rich i'd easily consider reimbursing my parents for the cost of bringing me up. So train fare for 5 years, bus fare for 9 years, college loan, and secondary school fee's which are more than that loan per year times 6! Stupid private education, what did it get me? Sure i'm in TCD, but i'm in nursing, academically not the hardest thing to get into, but i'm a reluctant student at the best of times. So passing is still a difficulty, study plans for the summer are already forming in my head. Pro-active protection of my very on the line ass i think..

Partay time!

Also this evening there will be a nurse's night out. Now of course they used to feckin' suck in my old year. Okay so they happened a lot and i was in the wrong crowd, wrong mood and not the same kind of person but still they were weak to say the least. The first and possibly only good one was also not a pleasant memory. I ended up staying in hall's with some of the girls. Sleeping on two armchairs squashed together with my legs trapped under the arm rest's limiting my movement. What was worse was the very intimate "couple" at the other end of the room. Twice for fuck sake. I barely knew them but damn that was just wrong, i was in the fucking room! I couldn't move, i couldn't drown the fumbling out and i sure as hell couldn't comment or join. Just a very wrong occurrence.


Now this evening. It's probably not going to happen. The main reason being i don't exactly have a crash pad lined up, or a plan. I also have almost no friends in this new year. I spent most of my free time with the Society this year. And College "face time" with the rest of my year was minimal to say the least. Placement and less lectures being the main reason. But also the severe and chronic lack of tutorial's. Which is sickening since there is actually likable people in that punch as well as most of the class reps and Jade and Mystique. But alas it looks like i'm going nowhere. Why well, i didn't plan much. My old class mate's are also finished today.

Now that's a different story. PG, my main contact with that past world isn't going out with the year. Now originally it was because of cricket tomorrow and also because of the shiteous nature of most of those event's. But also because even with my old gang of friends their sociability or partying gusto isn't exactly in existence. PG isn't friendly with most of our old tutorial group, who are some of the key members of some of the "clique's" within the year. So she didn't plan on anything. Avril is also usually a no show for most of college and a partial show for social event's. As for the rest i don't really know. Budsey my old best friend, i have barely spoken to her so that's a major pity and the rest of the group i barely knew anyway. Another development is that PG just went through a pretty shit break-up during exam time. And now she is going out tonight but with mutual friends of the ass who she parted with just so she can discuss that stuff. Now i won't comment heavily or extensively but yer man's a idiot, and rather tall, so even a stern talking to is out of the question on my part but i do feel sorry for her. Awful set of circumstances.

As for me well i would like to go out. That is if i knew more people. I don't want to cling on to certain people or anything like that but i know no-one. I've sat on my own or with chatterbox all year. Either way it would be weird. Now i do have fleeting ideation’s of what i could do, such as flirting or "scoring" with certain prospects but there is another factor that i have to consider. Puppies. Ralph and Rosey our insane puppies got the snip last week. And they need their stitches’ out tomorrow. Which means i have to be available to help my dad ship them to the vet's and mop up their car sick nature. Oh joy. That rule's out tonight or at least anything late.

Now also DS enquired about the cinema THIS week. With my exam mix up and my parents going to Spain on friday, Thursday was the only window left. So the hypothetical and the real of things fall's like thins.


Hypothetical:

I sit my exam. I hang out with certain groups in the Pav, i then head home to get ready and head back in. I then enjoy my night and pursue friendships, prospects, or canvass for the idea of being a class rep. I then either include DS in the night and crash at his. Or i switch to my old class mates if they are around dublin and crash at one of theirs or something. Avril or Budsey being the most likely candidate's, although relatively unlikely. I then get up early, easier if i don't drink, which i usually don't and i head home on the train in time to help my Dad with the puppies. Although that's difficult. Because of the early time of the appointment it would make the most sense if i met up with him at the vets. This raises the question who would restrain the puppies and mop up sick? Complicated i know.


Real:

I sit my exam. I either spend time with people in the pav or go home at normal times or with delayed mother due to heavy work load. I then stay at home and sulk. Help with puppies the next day and drop the cinema "bomb" late and probably miss the opportunity to go. But if i do, good on me.


What i will do:

Not certain. But i will buy batteries for my camera. Why? Because i plan an "Adventure's of Ralph and Rosie" blog for while my parents are away! Yep! I am that aware of how bored i will be looking after them while i am house sitting that i will document their lives’ and blog about it with cutesy dog type writing, no woof's though.

As for this evening the choice is mine to make and delegate, and i really don't know. We'll wait and see. I'll hopefully be able to do it all.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Race said...

damn, i would have rated their performance (the fuck buddies).

there's a good story in that room... lol and there u were pinned by a chair. ggg. i'm sorry i seem heartless, but u have to admit a very amusing situation.

Unknown said...

it's not amusing when you know the whole picture. mainly it was 4 am and i wanted to sleep and get to lectures at 9. But also because i had a crush on the girl i was staying with that was never going to go any further and after that night i never spent much time with that group of people again.

Race said...

oooh, i see. k. and if u had to get up and were already tired, and was the chick with the dude? still, fun to see ppl havin sex (most anything involving sex is fun?)if they don't care if ur in the room, but i guess it was miserable 4 u. sorry :(

Unknown said...

No the chick in question was in another room, and spoken for anyway. I admit it was funny at first but it eventually seemed like an eternity and not really funny at all. 3am after all.