Thursday, April 29, 2010

I'm so indie i listen to bands that don't exist yet...

Or so goes my favorite popular cultural meta-jibe of the moment.


After all what is indie? Fuck if i know.


Yes like most labels there's a fashion, a mind set, a certain set of political belief's and of course Music and film Genre's.


Frankly i hate label's.


I for one can't ever think of one i fit into.


I like to think of myself as a tortured un-focused, un-achieving, daydreaming possible arty type person.


I LOVE LOVE LOVE Film. It is the one medium that when i talk about it my whole body feel's like it's glowing with the smuggness i get from knowing i what i know and sharing it with the world. It is an overwhelming feeling of belonging, and being heard while at the same time talking about how you regularly escape reality. Nothing surpasses how Smug and happy talking about you're favourite art form can make you.


Some people do this with Music, some with Art. Some even do it with Fashion and lifestyles. But i, i'm an individual. Well in some area's anyway. After all i have yet to be allowed shop for my own clothes for parental fear of looking like a tramp, knacker, low-life, or some kind of fruit cake.


But in my love for film, which is generally universal and forgiving i can't say i'm any kind of Genre Thumping supporter.

Some people love Horror, Some Love Rom-coms, Some love crime. Some love blockbusters.

I. I love everything that i find good.


I have hated very few films.

Films in my hate pile include, The Ring 2, Peaches, Battlefield Earth, Spiderman 3 and Epic Movie. Oh and the last 20 minutes of Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

Considering the hundreds of movies i have seen, this is a small enough list.


In terms of music i'm entirely individualistic, and in some sense's indie.

Like anyone i listen to popular music. But usually miss a few hits here and there because i avoid consuming radio.

My own taste is vastly eclectic. But i've had my musical taste best described to me by an arty person as, wait for it.


"The musical Taste of a 16 year old girl."


Okay so i admit, i love pop-punk. Fall Out Boy and Paramore being the top contributors of the Genre in my collection. But i love the genre, i love the feel, and i love the melody. But i also love pop-punk bands that no-one has heard of.

Sadly my first Major music love was Mest. A punk band. Now i look back, they were kind of awful. But they have a special place in my heart.

Quirky un-signed bands and now defunct bands from all over that i have found on myspace over the years.


A Day Away, Farewell, Mercy Mercedes, The Mile After, Holiday Parade, The High Court, Emily, The Shower Scene, Blue Syndrome, Modrocket and Yelle.

All absoloute random bands who make up my playlists and shuffle just as much as bigger Bands Like The Academy Is..., Cute is what we aim for, All Time Low, The All-American Rejects, Green Day and the "Indie-tacular" The Like.

And of course Canadian melodic masters Marianas Trench.

I'm not sure where i was taking this post, but now i will include, Youtube clips!!!


Meta-meme's, and uber quirks and so on that i just love.





Ah the Muppets, they're just all warm and fuzzy.



Out of all the summer blockbusters and so on, this little indie film has stood out to me in recent daily film blog and trailer news. I've heard little about it because it's so small time, but something just seem's to say this is going to be quite fun and charming.

Sort of like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind (one of my top favorite movies of all time) this film blends romance with Science fiction. And i have to say the Philosophical question of a timer countdown to your true love is just brilliant. That and the Catchy twist that the protagonists Timer is blank! Also sort of reminds me of the Coloured diamonds on the hands of people in Logan's Run.





Werner Hertzog. A legend of Cinema as it is. My wonderful English teacher introduced me to his work via the means of Friday's film club. I always attended for 3 straight years with the exception of only 2 or so occasions (that and falling asleep to Citizen Kane). But 2 gem's that i remember vividly are Hertzog Film's.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God Which is basically just a descent into madness and utter brilliance.


And




Fitzcarraldo Which is where he Literally lifted a steamboat up a mountain using the local people and a shit load of rope and tree's. It's mind-blowingly impressive, and equally insane. 


And this clip, where he "READ'S" Where's Wally, it's just un-fucking-believably cool!


It's total non-sense of the highest order, but at the same time it's great! Oh BTW, it isn't actually Werner Hertzog, but it's amazing none-the-less!




For now, no more quirky-ness.








Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: