Sunday, May 9, 2010

Ups and Downs, Smiles and Frowns...


In which i regale you with what happened on Saturday.



So I may not have mentioned through connections etc I had the loose possibility of getting a job in a Pub in Drogheda.

My number had been passed on to the Bar owner on Thursday and i had been expecting a phone call.

I was in town for my Forthnightly visit and also to catch up with Gammaman and maybe Ming if he wasn't too busy with study.

That phone call didn't come.


Both Ming and Budsey were free on Friday but i couldn't go into town to meet them, so it was home cleaning and more lugging about of Log's and Branches in the garden. Still no Phone call.


So Saturday i was due to pop in to the place to announce myself so to speak and talk to either the floor manager or the owner.


Grumpily at around 11am my Dad rushed through my door and shouted for me to stir from the land of Nod. I had apparently slept right on through the last "request" more than half an hour ago. And now i was running late or in the bad books, in my drowsy state i was too grumpy and annoyed to protest which.

I got up and made porridge and groaned as i slowly woke.

I then had a flash in the pan shower, as my mother put it, and then proceeded to put on formal-wear of shirt and jacket, to appear less scruffy and like an unemployed layabout. I dispensed with a tie, as despite loving them, it just didn't to seem this loaned shirt.


I Ascended the steep mountain climb that is the G-Wagon and put formal shoe's on as we drove.

My dad gave me the Sit-Rep on who was who and who to talk to etc when i got there. That is if we found the bar in question.

We entered the Town from the east, as it was generally faster than going around the back and passing our final destination of the Recycling centre with a mass of Tree debris in the back of the G.

We had forgotten that there was a Market that was on every Saturday in Drogheda, and also that the Main North South Hill would be covered in Traffic thanks to the Pedestrian crossings on the Main street. So we had to duck and dive through back streets to make it to the street we wanted.

We then realised, we didn't know the name of the pub. And there were A LOT of pubs.

"It's  the something and something2."

Nope, no pub with Something2 in the name.

We went up the street passed the Conurbation of Pubs and shops, and decided to turn back. Entering a petrol station forcourt we ran into traffic so reversed and gingerly waited to dash back onto the road. We only went up another few meters and turned in a side street. Making it back to the collection of pubs and shops we got a parking space.

Trying to figure out where it was, or what an alternative name was.

I looked ahead and right there in front of us was a big ad for the pub on the side of the building.

The only difference being that the name only Rhymed with what we thought it was.

So we parked and i tied my shoe lace's as my Dad wished me good luck.

I walked up to the place.

The door was closed, curtains drawen behind them. No noticebale signs.

I walked back to the car, shrugging my shoulders. "It's closed."

"what does it say on the poster say?"

Oh right, didn't seem to notice the posters on the pillar compared to the blank white pages on the door windows, blind much?

Thur -Sun 6pm to late. A shucks.

"Right we have to come back at six." My Dad said.

I wasn't to happy with this idea, it is after all when Doctor who is on. This is of course of the most VITAL importance!

We then bought some cheap diesel and proceded to the Recycling centre.


IT WAS PACKED!

We patiently queued waiting for the space to move ahead close enough to the "hedge cuttings" bin to dump our load.

However just as we started to inch ahead as someone with a trailer left a white van raced up beside us and the passenger waved at us, seemingly saying. "Thanks for keeping the space, we're fine parking on our own."

Out stepped a chubby fucker in a tracksuit who deemed seem to care about our annoyed face's and he proceeded to dump a broken bike in the scrap metal bin beside us. Fair enough we thought, but we were still mile's from the bin we wanted.

Annoyed we crossed the "road" to the opposite side and proceeded to unload.

It was difficult to walk so far in high winds with a quickly filling bin with dozens of people going back and forth.


As we went back and forth we noticed the White van men not only were dumping, or even trying,  things they couldn't they were also grabbing random sheet's of wood OUT of the scrap wood Skip. Cheeky fuckers.

Once unloaded we headed home and popped inside for quick refreshments and i changed out of formal-wear.

I then sat on the grass in the sun as i waited for my dad to come out and for us to start loading the "G-eep" again.

A nice day for it too!


After that second load i settled into using the laptop for a few hours and caught up on my shows. Although i was still going to miss Dr Who.

At about 530 we headed back in.

I entered the bar and asked to speak to the manager, who's name i had, to the bar man.

I wasn't waiting long but got a bit of a look around the place, pretty good. Large really, both a pub and club space really.

The barman prepared strawberries for cocktails or snacks, i'm not sure which, and offered me one. I declined. Bit early isn't it? They must be foreign monsters from the land of magic, but fine proof if ever to stick it to my sister and show her that in the Glorious land of the EU we ALWAYS have food "in-season" as we ship it in from the world over. As opposed to Australia where this was apparently a crazy impossible thing... HA not for the IRISH and our former Affluence.

I met with the floor manager. He wore a black Rugby or football shirt, casual enough. I spoke with him and it all seemed positive. I would be called the next week. Then just before i left i noticed the Sponsor on the shirt... Northern Rock, bad omen?

I slightly skipped as i walked out the door, and slightly fist pumped at my side as i whispered "Sorted" in a very poor mock-accent as i left.

Approaching my dad in the car i gave two thumbs up and repeated what had only happened moments before.

It was only 5 past 6, even better!

By the time i got into the house i had maybe missed 20 minutes of Dr Who, but i got most of the good bits, Good times.






Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

notRuairi said...

Nice one! I'd only love to have a weekend job again. And I'm no good at bar work for... eh... medical reasons.

And yeah, Dr. Who was fairly hardcore, wasn't it? Especially the suicide scene.

Unknown said...

Yeah it all sounds like i have the job in the bag.


And yeah, it was a great episode. I managed to catch it again yesterday. Some of it was week, but the theme was pretty good.