Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I've seen the future....

And it may as well be garlic bread.

After all the idea of behind my new favourite gadget maker is all about adding something good to something well known and making it far better.

Garlic butter to Baguette's in this case being Affordable internet and social media to a cheap entry level phone for everyone....

I'll try and cut the jargon as much as possible. But i've mentioned many a time before how much i love my INQ 1 mobile.


From Blogging



I got it on 3 for 69 Euro pre-pay and i have never looked back since.

Now i haven't ever been to flashy or up to date with mobile phones. My first phone, which i still own was a Motorolla T2288 the generic Wap version of that FM radio phone that was heavily advertised circa 2001/2002.

Then after 5 years i switched to a Sagem as the old motorolla couldnt charge anymore. The sagem was a sturdy clam shell design and yet after a year and a half i broke it's only breakable part, the charger port....

So on to my Motorolla E770. A Videophone and an absolute brick in shape compared to most phones. It wasn't even advertised or on display in the shop. It sold so badly it was gathering dust. But it was perfect for me and served me well for a couple of years.


But then i saw it. Some rainy winter's day in ireland. I had been lusting after an iPhone or a knock off but mainly had my eyes on the LG Viewty because of it's 8 megapixel camera. Why i don't know.

But then i saw the inq 1, and then i read it was a "social networking phone" i fell in love.


The facebook phone as it is often called is not exactly advanced but it bridge's a gap that other phones don't.


As the people at INQ put it everyone else is "catching up" with apple's iPhone and will lose. Instead inq wants to make phone's that listen to their customers and provide what they want and what they really use their phones and the internet for.


And what do most of use the internet for? Social Networking. Some 60% of us apparently. That's a hefty market. And since few of us can really get an iPhone or it's "competitors" or even get a cheap knock off from Hong Kong, we can get a normal mobile that has basic internet and built in apps Like Facebook and Windows live messenger.




Now the garlic to the baguette. INQ now has 2 new phone for pre-Christmas release.


The INQ Chat and The INQ Mini or AKA the Twitterphone with Qwerty keyboard and Twitterphone Lite.


Gawk if you must:




QWERTY Keyboard Twitterphone!

From Blogging




Twitterphone Lite

From Blogging





They are both beautiful and they now feature always on Twitter. As well as an improved Facebook app and other snazzy little trinkets like Windows Live and so on. However Last.fm support has been dropped, i don't use it on my current INQ 1 but it was a nice feature. Also the promise of an eBay app/widget has disapeared/been swept under the carpet, which is also a pity.

But a cool new thing is that the new Inq's feature direct support for music via doubleTwist. doubleTwist will also alow the inq's to use iTune's songs without having to sync with iTunes. None of that iPod only crap that apple stuck onto their iTunes bought items, your music is your music you should be able to put it on any device.


I am really looking forward to these phones. I just hope that i can swap my old INQ for the new INQ Chat. I'd settle for the mini but i'm all thumbs as it is and i hate predictive text, a real qwerty keybord sounds like a god send.

Also imagine the "tweeting" on the go, the facebook on the go, the Gmail on the go, the Twitpic's i could take, the blog's i could write in brief or even long! All providing i'm in an urbanised area with a signal and have a pre-payed internet credit!

Yeah that's the ONLY downside to my inq and will be with these. I live in the country side. My phone will ONLY do it's best things when in urban area's. Otherwise it just acts as a normal phone. But hey, when at home it's all i need it for anyway!


Giddy geekiness now over.

2 comments:

Chic Mama said...

ahhh, I hope you manage to upgrade.
I have to admit to having an i phone which I love. It's changed my life! Sounds sad doesn't it but it has.
:0)

Unknown said...

Can you justify the cost? Or being about 10 years ahead of everyone else? And what about the severe lack of signal? Or are you a city only person?

I must admit when i got my iPod Nano i switched over completely, but now that my new knock off iPod Touch doesn't work i have used my INQ instead...

I'd love an iPhone but i wouldn't be able to afford one or even afford any apps. :-(